December 14, 2011
John LoMonaco passed away unexpectedly on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 at the age of 57. He collapsed in the locker room of the Spectrum Club in Canoga Park, just after winning his last game against Kevin Barlia. John played three or four times a week and had many wins to his credit, including several NMRA medals and a 55-A championship in 2007 at the USA Racquetball National Singles in Houston. He lived in West Hills, California, near the club, and ran his own fire safety and inspection business.
In memory of John, an anonymous friend has established a grant for an all expenses paid trip to the USA Racquetball National Singles Championships in Fullerton, California, May 23-27, 2012.
The recipient of the John LoMonaco Memorial Grant:
- May be male or female and must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- May not have previously competed in the USA Racquetball National Singles Championships.
- Will submit an application and write an essay no longer than 500 words expressing why he/she wants to attend and compete in the National Singles Championships 2012.
- Will sign a USA Racquetball liability waiver as well as a release for use of his/her likeness in publications at USA Racquetball’s discretion.
- Will write an article describing his/her experiences as a first-time National Singles player for possible publication in the USA Racquetball eNewsletter and/or Racquetball magazine.
- Will provide USA Racquetball with a planned travel itinerary for review and approval.
- Must accept these terms and conditions in a signed agreement.
Covered expenses will be: entry fee (two divisions), meals, five nights’ lodging at one of the host hotels, coach airfare, ground transportation, and a pass to the VIP tent in the Players’ Village at the event. The recipient will submit receipts to USA Racquetball for reimbursement not to exceed $2,000. Any companion costs will be at the expense of the recipient or his/her companion.
The essay and application become the property of USA Racquetball and will not be returned. The Executive Committee of the USAR Board, along with the anonymous donor, will make the final determination as to who will receive the grant.
The application form can be found on the USA Racquetball web site, www.usaracquetball.com. Send your completed form and essay to Larry Haemmerle at email@example.com. The deadline for submission is January 15, 2012, with the recipient announcement on or before February 28, 2012.
Download MS WORD Application
Download Adobe PDF Application